Wood pigeon with beetroot, quinoa & wild mushroom
About this Recipe
To prepare the Wood Pigeon with Beetroot, Quinoa & Wild Mushroom
- First make the beetroot puree. Place the beetroot in a small saucepan and add the sugar and the orange juice. Cook for 20 minutes over a medium heat. Blend until smooth.
- Rinse the quinoa in cold water, place into a pan with 200g of water and bring to the boil for 5 minutes, then simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off and leave the quinoa to rest until it plumps up. Once cooled down, add the oil, hazelnuts, chives, wild garlic, season and add the sherry vinegar to taste.
- Wash and cut all mushrooms and sauté in half the butter along with the thyme sprig until cooked. Discard the sprig of thyme, set aside and keep warm.
- Season the pigeon breasts. Add a splash of oil to a small frying pan and when hot sear the breasts on both sides for 1 minute. Turn down the heat and add a knob of butter. Baste with the butter and continue to cook for a further 1 minute. Take from the pan and leave in a warm place to rest for at least 3 minutes. Carve each breast into three slices
- Place the quinoa in the center of a warm plate with the pigeon breast on top place the mushrooms on top and around the plate. Pipe or spoon some of the beetroot puree around the plate and garnish with a few mixed baby herb shoots if desired. ꢀ
- 2 Wood pigeon breasts
- 200 grams Beetroot cooked until soft & peeled
- 150 grams sugar
- 250 ml orange juice
- 1 sprig thyme
- 100 grams mixed wild mushrooms
- 100 grams quinoa
- 200 grams water
- 1 tbs hazelnuts chopped
- 1 tbs chives finely chopped
- 1 finely chopped garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbs sherry vinegar
- 25 ml rapeseed oil
- 50 grams Butter
- Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
A dinner party starter making the most of autumnal ingredients…